Teen dies after trying 'Benadryl challenge' on TikTok


A 15-year-old girl from Oklahoma passed away last week after overdosing on Benadryl. The girl had been taking part in a dangerous TikTok challenge wherein teens on TikTok are encouraged to take large quantities of antihistamine medicine in an attempt to trigger vivid hallucinations.

Scott Schaeffer, Director of the Oklahoma Center for Poison and Drug Information said, "The dose that can cause hallucination is very close to the dose that can cause something potentially life-threatening."

Too much of the drug can lead to heart attach, stroke, seizure, brain damage, and death.

The 15-year-old victim has not been identified, but was described by those who knew her as happy, "faith-driven", and not known to experiment with drugs.

A TikTok spokesperson said, "The safety and wellbeing of our users is TikTok's top priority. We do not allow content that encourages, promotes, or glorifies dangerous challenges that might lead to injury. Though we have not seen this content trend on out platform, we actively remove content that violates our guidelines and block related hashtags to further discourage participation."

Photo: Getty Images

Source: DailyMail


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content