For some people, pets are family! Just like family, sometimes you wish they weren’t yours, and there seems to several reasons folks regret their pet decision.
A new survey finds that household messes pets leave behind is the biggest reason pet owners have thought about getting rid of their pets (42%). But that’s not the only reason. Others include:
- Allergies became an issue (40%)
- Thought my pet was making too much noise (40%)
- Didn’t know animal would need so much attention (39%)
- Didn’t know how to handle animal’s medical needs (39%)
- Didn’t like the way my pet reacted to new child (39%)
- Pet was shedding too much (38%)
- I was moving and didn’t want to bring pets along (38%)
- Pet was too hyper (37%)
- Didn’t get along with my partner/significant other (37%)
When it comes to those pet messes...
- 48% of owners have pets who got into the garbage
- 48% have pets who got a hold of paper and either ate it or made a mess
- 44% have pets who tear up the toilet paper in the bathroom
- 43% have pets who have accidents in the house
- 43% of pet owner have animals who chew through blankets and comforters.
And there’s no doubt pets can destroy plenty of things in a person’s house, with the average pet owner having to deal with $260 worth of damage caused by their animal. Among the most common things that get destroyed:
- Clothing (56%)
- Toys (56%)
- Couch (52%)
- Blanket (49%)
- Chair (47%)